Sept 11, 2016 – 200 years ago this was all still part of the Ute Territories, Southern Colorado (USA)
“Yet hear me, people, we have now to deal with another race – small and feeble when our fathers first met them but now great and overbearing. Strangely enough they have a mind to till the soil and the love of possession is a disease with them. These people have made many rules that the rich may break but the poor may not. They take their tithes from the poor and weak to support the rich and those who rule.” — Sitting Bull, at the Powder River Council, 1877
Just passing along the below Democracy Now! report from indigenous struggle to stop the Dakota Pipeline:
From DN! (my emphasis):
Sept 9, 2016: “In North Dakota, Governor Jack Dalrymple has activated the National Guard ahead of Friday’s ruling on the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s lawsuit against the U.S. government over the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline. The move comes as U.S. District Judge James Boasberg is set to rule today on an injunction in the lawsuit, which is challenging the Army Corps of Engineers’ decision to issue permits for the pipeline, arguing it violates the National Historic Preservation Act.
Thousands of people representing more than 100 Native American tribes have traveled to the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation to resist the pipeline’s construction.
On Saturday, September 3, the Dakota Access pipeline company unleashed dogs and pepper spray on Native Americans as they attempted to stop the company from destroying a sacred tribal burial site.
The bulldozers and company security guards were forced to retreat. On Thursday, Governor Jack Dalrymple said the National Guard will be deployed Friday …”
!-> For the latest updates, check National Native News. (NNN), Democracy Now!, or search around.
—– ———- ——
—– ———- ——
Possibly at least somewhat related Posts:
- (Aug. 19, 2015) US Senator John McCain Chased off Navajo land. ;-)
- (Nov 27, 2015) National Day of Mourning… (Re. the History of Thanksgiving)
- (Nov. 17, 2013) Why I’m in Japan, Aside from Tourism: Spiritual Pilgrimage, Ceremony & Bearing Witness. + How I Prepared to visit the Fukushima Prefecture
- Oct. 15, 2014: Autumn 2014 – Photos of Road Trip – 3/5
- Oct 25, 2011: First Nations Languages spoken around here. (Vancouver Island)
- Oct. 24, 2011: Pacific Rim National Park – A glimpse of beautiful ha’houlthee of the Nuu-chah-nulth – with some ponderings on civilization…