—- —- —- —- —- —- —– —- —- —– —–
Well, at least some monitors show significant spikes, like the Seattle one at the moment… All the Seattle Times reported is that, “Rain eases up but will return: The Seattle area will dry out for a few hours today, but light showers are expected. […]”, which suggests (see graphs below), that just as seen in Germany, small amounts of fallout appear to be raining down in the Pacific Northwest…
EPA testing the rain? Nope, ever since May 2011, they’ve been in nothing-to-see-here “routine mode”: they’ll test the absolute substandard minimum some 4 times per year. Come on, EPA, gather rain samples and do your monitoring job… Jeez… (What is up with this country?) Anyhow:
- EPA Seattle monitor: http://epa.gov/radnet/radnet-data/radnet-seattle-bg.html
- All EPA Radnet’s monitors: http://epa.gov/radnet/radnet-data/index.html#mapframe
- See also my Online Radiation Monitors page for monitors in different countries.
Just pointing out the obvious. I haven’t seen spikes like that before. Check the date and note the spike on the current measurements for Gamma in Seattle, WA:
See that spike at the end? That’s Sept 5 & 6, 2013. I looked around on many of the other monitors, and it’s the most pronounced spike I’ve seen anywhere. Compare to March 2011.
I tried to zoom in on the last week using the “query Tool”, which is prone to crashing: https://cdxnode64.epa.gov/radnet-public/query.do
No luck this time.
[9:30 pm added-on after posting earlier today:] After some more attempts, I got through. Strangely, the Gross Beta shows a complete flatline (all valuess o.oooo). Beta monitoring must have been turned off?
I plotted this week’s Gamma Energy Range 3, showing spikes of 200% above the normal natural fluctuation range:
- Seattle’s KOMOnews weather blog noted the significant rainfall in “What’s up with the big raindrops today? (Our hair’s a mess!), By Scott Sistek (Sept 5, 2013)“
See also these previous recent blogposts related to Pacific Northwest Radiation:
- August 30, 2013: Seattle’s Whiffs of Radioactive Fallout from Fukushima: EPA Radnet data Spring 2011 versus Summer 2013.
And given that the recent spikes seen on the Seattle’s EPA radnet graphs are more pronounced than in March 2011 (see HERE and add above graph to the comparisson), I’d like to add this little graph (left, ST April 5, 2011) I came across that shows what was in the air in March 2011. Anyone’s guess what’s in the air now…
Additional hints that the EPA and universities threw in the towel way too early on the monitoring in April-May 2011:
- August 21, 2013: Low Level Radioactive Fukushima Fallout moving over Pacific Northwest – Portland EPA Radnet Data – August 2013
- !–> August 3, 2013: Radioactive Iodine in Seaweed and Sludge, Summer 2013? (Hints of Recent Criticality Events…) + Data suggests radioactive fallout still blowing around the world…
- And my July 31, 2013 blogpost, Alert – Fukushima-Daiichi NPP Crisis: EXTREME Radioactive Water Leaking into Ground; Unprecedented Radioactive Contamination of Pacific Ocean, in which’ my CONCLUSION remains as pertinent as ever:
If I were Japan, or any nuclear regulatory agency with a hint of backbone and genuine care for the wellbeing of humanity…, I would declare an all-hands-on-deck ‘Planetary Emergency’; order a swift transfer of the response efforts management from Tepco to the Japanese military, with unlimited assistance welcomed from military and private nuclear experts from the US, Russia, France, the UK, Belgium, etc.; recruit workers internationally (r/t travel, room, board & stipend paid); have political and corporate powerhouses commit whatever-it-takes unlimited resources with explicit backing by the world’s central banks (Why not, right? Consider the alternative: a radioactive health-hazardous planet, where getting cancer in the prime of one’s life becomes the norm rather than the exception. Maybe I’m naive, but it could be a prospect even moneyed elites might be challenged to enjoy, yes?); as well as get NGOs, anthropologists, communication facilitators, etc. involved to assist in bringing about a clear and honest prompt information flow culture and disaster response operations transparency for accurate reporting. I suppose we may have to overhaul the global political system while we’re at it.
—- —- —– —- —- —- —- —- —- —- —- —- —- —- —- —-
–> PS: I did check for solar storms and geomagnetic disturbances (at http://www.solarham.net/) to see if those contributed to gamma ray spikes, and there was nothing of that nature going on.
Sept 6, 2013 9:55pm Mountain Time
Link added at the
beginning Sept 15, 2013: Salt Lake City data