4:40 am… on Vancouver Island… ♫♫ ▄ █ ▄ oh yeah… ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ♫♫▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ … ♫♫
Had coffee late. It’s been one of them midnight oil burner nights… I was streaming grooves from Radio Scorpio, broadcasting out of Leuven, Belgium. Then I read somewhere… not sure where that was actually… that the instrumental dance hit, Housewife by the Belgian band DAAN, from a couple years ago, was just voted “best dance tune” by Studio Brussels’ (another radio station’s) listeners. Kinda cool video:
And so -from one nostalgic or reminiscing click came another- eventually I picked some Belgian songs, including some stuff I basically “learned to dance to” (or whatever it would be called) as a teenager, and some really old goodies, closing off with (SO wrong! :-) ) hilarious Jon Stewart jokes about Belgium.
- Operating Tracks, by Front 242, 1982 (early Industrial awesomeness)
- Rave City, by Yves Deruyter, 1993:
- Anasthasia, by T99, 1991 (old time Rave music)
- Oh la la, by TC Matic, 1981 (a classic, I’ve never heard it outside Europe. Close your eyes and ignore this absurdly seemingly unrelated video.):
- The Fashion Party, by The Neon Judgement, 1983:
- I Love this ‘Venus in Furs’ cover version (the original is by the Velvet Underground if I’m not mistaken. Lyrics here.), done by Company of State:
- Something, by Lasgo, …
- Alors On Danse, by Stromae, … fairly new.
- “…trouble is my middle name, but in the end i’m not too bad…” :-)
– Mad About You, by Hooverphonic, 2000:
- Dans le Port d’Amsterdam, by Jacques Brel, (dead but never forgotten / chanson), 1964:
- “Tombe la neige” [Falling Snow], by Salvatore Adamo, (Belgian-Italian artist, another classic French-language chanson), 1964:
- Haha. Jon Steward joking about Belgium (as passed along through Dutch TV – hilarisch) ;-D
Alright… This is one of many ways I sometimes choose to entertain myself when I can’t sleep. Tired at last. Off to bed… Tomorrow is another gorgeous day.