This list is OUTDATED, not been updated in years. The links may serve as a place to start, but I made this list around April 2011, and have not been updating it much at all.
If updates are added, they are on the static page, HERE, not on this blogpost, below.
BEWARE: What may appear ‘contaminated’, may be entirely due to normal natural radioactivity. For examples, see my lab results for samples from Northern California (Spring 2011), and Japanese Kelps (Fall 2013).
As a matter of additional DISCLAIMER, I added this no-nonsense article as an introduction:
Overview of some of the places where you can buy Geiger Counters, dosimeters and related radiation monitoring products.
This list is in no particular order (Geiger Counter electronic components are at the end). Unlike most lists, even those staging to be merely “reviewing” (and putting their own product at the top), I’m not affiliated with any of the products; I simply tried to compile what could now easily be one of the better independent list of radiation measuring equipment sources:
- –> International Medcom, http://www.medcom.com/, offers professional Geiger Counters, Surface Contamination Meters, and products for a complete setup of a reliable online radiation monitoring station. I visited Japan with a Medcom Inspector Alert and am very satisfied with its sensitivity and overall performance.
- –> Edmund Scientific, http://www.scientificsonline.com, offers these 3 Geiger Counters, as well as radiation shielding for the professional model: http://www.scientificsonline.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=geiger+counters
- –> SE International, http://seintl.com/, offers an impressive wide array of top of the line radiation measuring and analysis products. Bummer you have to contact them for pricings, though. Check “URSA II – Universal Radiation Spectrum Analyzer” (http://www.seintl.com/products/ursa_II.html) as an example of products for professional labs.
- –> Gamma Scout, http://www.gammascout.com/, has been mentioned in reviews as one of the best in its price category (See http://www.best-geiger-counter.com/ for review example). I used to have a Gamma Scout but got frustrated with its software (to plot data on a PC, which was very annoying to work on a Mac). Good product, but more satisfied with my MedCom.
- –> Professional Equipment, http://www.professionalequipment.com/ offers these: http://www.professionalequipment.com/radiation-testers/?cid=PEGLENV&CMP=KNC-Google&gclid=CImD9ZLjoagCFQkMbAodhkbcGQ (and more).
- –> M.C. TECH (in The Netherlands, between Antwerpen & Amsterdam), http://www.mctec.nl/personendosimeters.htm has a nice selection too.
- –> Gamma Watch in Japan, http://www.gammawatch.com/, combines a wrist watch with a basic Geiger Counter: http://www.gammawatch.com/DataSheet.htm Funny their displayed image showed a reading of 4.86 µSv/h (microSievert per hour, see my Radiation Units page for help with that), which is more than 10 time normal background radiation for Tokyo.
- –> ThermoFisher Scientific, http://www.thermoscientific.com (Corporate site: http://www.thermofisher.com/global/en/home.asp) is the place to be for Radiation Detection instruments and systems used by the nuclear industry, DOE National Laboratories, national and international safeguards organizations, defense and law enforcement agencies. (btw, they’re also present in Aalst, Belgium).
- –> ATOMEX, http://www.atomtex.com/ in Russia, has a wide offering as well.
- Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/, has several Geiger Counters and assecories for sale. Search ‘m.
- eBay, http://shop.ebay.com, has an enormous selection from al over the world, including various wrist-watch Geiger Counters, dosimeters, etc. Access http://shop.ebay.com and search ‘m for latest.
- –> Sparkfun Electronics, http://www.sparkfun.com/ : If you’re into electronics, you might want to check out my post Build Your Own Radiation Monitoring Drones (April 13, 2011), which includes the Mini Geiger Counter electronic component: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9848 shown here:
- –>Reynolds Electronics, http://www.rentron.com, also has a Geiger Counter electronics component (also see my post Build Your Own Radiation Monitoring Drones (April 13, 2011)): http://www.rentron.com/geiger.htm.
- Build your own: http://www.imagesco.com/articles/geiger/01.html
- See more options at the updated static page mentioned above: Geiger Counters, etc. (LIST)
MORE DISCLAIMER: Check with retailers for current pricing and offerings. I do not necessarily vouch for ANY of the products shown, just passing along the info. To check out levels of radiation worldwide, see top bar’s NUCLEAR tab’s subcategories.