[ I update this page when I find something noteworthy on the issue.
Last updated December 10, 2012; Magnetometer links from 2012 often no longer work. Try http://flux.phys.uit.no/stackplot/ for newer options.]
Right from the start, there’s been a conspiracy theory that the March 11, 2011 9.0 Japan Earthquake was ‘manmade’… This is my monster-post looking into it.
Must say: I was surprised when ‘De Standaard’, a generally-more-conservative Dutch-language Belgian newspaper I grew up with, reported, March 14, 2011: “Was earthquake artificially created?” (See “Werd aardbeving kunstmatig opgewekt?“ which they have made subscriber-only-accessible since.).
This, and many others articles like it, mentioned the pre-quake “strange clouds” and the emerging theory that the quake was ’caused by HAARP’, the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program [ in Alaska, USA.
Like most parrots, they were only reporting that there are conspiracy theories doing the rounds, and mentioning some of its elements, nothing else. But, as such, they did actually spread the perspective, without debunking anything, nor elaborating on any of the claims. That’s the purpose of this blogpost. If you read this blog post in its entirety AND explore the links, videos, audio and references I link to, you’ll be way more informed than most mainstream journalists, I think.
Pretty much anytime there’s a big earthquake, this conspiracy theory swiftly returns… Strangely, there’s actually a valid reason for this: Technology to cause earthquakes exists (see below) and: there’s some suggestive evidence that the ionosphere gets charged up prior to and during some very strong quakes. This was the case with the 9.0 Great Tohoku Quake of March 11, 2011 off the coast of Japan. This could entirely be a natural phenomenon, causing HAARP equipment to measure changes it did not cause itself.
In short, my skepticism can be summarized with: CORRELATION DOES NOT MEAN CAUSATION. But there is a lot more to it, so much actually (and perhaps unfortunately) that not all the conspiracy talk around it can be dismissed…
Quick synopsis of what HAARP is, can be found here:
- On Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Frequency_Active_Auroral_Research_Program “The most prominent instrument at the HAARP Station is the Ionospheric Research Instrument (IRI), a high-power radio frequency transmitter facility operating in the high frequency (HF) band. The IRI is used to temporarily excite a limited area of the ionosphere. Other instruments, such as a VHF and a UHF radar, a fluxgate magnetometer, a digisonde, and an induction magnetometer, are used to study the physical processes that occur in the excited region.”
- On the HAARP website itself: http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/faq.html
Peculiar in this regard is that Jeff Rense‘s website (see his Japan posts HERE), usually the-place-to-be for anything off-the-wall (fear-mongering, conspiracy wackiness and real gems of unusual news and opinions alike), in fact strangely DIDN’T run “Japan Earthquake caused by HAARP” stories, whatsoever, actually… So strangely, in fact, that this in itself lead to (of course) conspiracy theories: http://labvirus.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/darpa-shill-jeff-rense-refutes-haarp-japan-correlation/ (–> shut down, relocated to http://labviruscom.blogspot.com … –> Darn… Shut down as well. Some remnant can be found through the Wayback Machine (web archive))
!!! –> The book/ document that really launched this conspiracy was ‘Angels Don’t Play This HAARP’, download in pdf here: http://www.freedomfchs.com/adpthaarp.pdf
I’m bringing this HAARP conspiracy up because…
1) It keeps being raised by people I meet (most are visitors from all over the world to this fancy ski town, Park City – Utah, which I
currently call home used to live), and
2) While enjoying a cup of coffee at a Park Ave’s Starbucks, I read this (April 9, 2011) NY Times article, Aftershock Unnerves a Japan on the Edge, which ended with the sentence [my emphasis added]: “Matsuko Ito, 64, said she screamed when the violent shaking woke her up around 11:30 p.m. She said she was not sure she could take much more. “It’s enough,” she said while smoking a cigarette outside the shelter where she has been living in the small northeastern city of Natori. “Something has changed. The world feels strange now. Even the way the clouds move isn’t right.” Clouds acting strangely? The more interesting stuff in newspaper articles is often towards the end, and whether or not it had any relevance, it inspired me to “do a little digging”. It got me wondering, because unusual atmospheric phenomena have been noticed just prior to many big earthquakes (see further below).
This conspiracy theory still hasn’t exposed itself as total bullshit yet, so… I found it seems to boil down to these factors:
1) ‘Earthquake Lights’ and ‘Stratocumulus Clouds’ have been observed just before and during intense earthquakes for centuries.
2) The extraordinary visionary inventor and engineer Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) did extensive research about the ionosphere, and artificially created lightning and earthquakes with electromagnetic oscillators. Some of his inventions and experiments are still not fully understood, and related research is believed to be conducted mainly in top secret military programs, such as the Strategic Defense Initiative and HAARP.
3) HAARP is jointly run by the Office of Naval Research, the Air Force Research Laboratory, and DARPA, as clearly stated on this US military website: http://www.nrl.navy.mil/research/nrl-review/2004/atmospheric-science-and-technology/kennedy/ The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA, see http://www.darpa.mil/), is all about “maintaining the technological superiority of the U.S. military”. It is not ‘paranoid nonsense’ that HAARP is not just doing innocent ionosphere research, cause the agencies running it make it crystal clear that is in fact an advanced weapons research facility. Going by statements made by Nikola Tesla in regards to his research involving the ionosphere and the planet as a capacitor in general, among the possibilities for advanced weapons system developments at HAARP include artificial weather modification, earthquake generation, energetic protective shielding, and possibly localized ionospheric-plasma-discharge weapons
4) And -last but not least- there is the “motive” aspect: the question WHY? would any powerful group do such aweful things; and WHO? would be doing it… On that vein, the most consistent claims have been made for many years by Tokyo-based journalist and anti-New-World-Order warrior Benjamin Fulford (http://benjaminfulford.net/), who claimed long before the devastating 9.0 quake struck, that Japan was being forced into financial submission by the elusive Illuminati secret society powerhouse, under threat of HAARP-induced earthquakes. His claims include:
- The 9/11 terrorist attacks were an “inside job” carried out by the US government as a false flag attack to bring about a new imperial mobilization. (I agree with him on that. IMO, anyone who still believes the official version clearly never looked into it very deeply.)
- The Pentagon, the oil industry, banking elite, and the pharmaceutical industry suppress inventions including free-energy and anti-gravity technology to maintain power. (That’s my understanding as well – see also the conspiracy documentary / movie ‘THRIVE’, which I mention HERE)
- Since 2009, Fulford has stated that the US government, using HAARP has been altering the climate, and using high power microwave energy inducing earthquakes for geopolitical and extortion purposes, including the Asian Tsunami (2004) and earthquakes in Japan (1995), Japan (2007), China (2008), Haiti (2010), Chile (2010), New Zealand (2011), and Japan (2011) and Myanmar (2011). [I doubt these claims.]
Some lengthy elaboration on these 4 points:
- ATMOSPHERIC PHENOMENA around the time of major earthquakes
The “strange clouds” are clearly (not particularly uncommon) stratocumulus clouds that have been around since time immemorial, have been observed and videotaped right before the Japan and other quakes. See this YouTube Video example from Japan here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys1txZ-baSkt. (Note that this video was uploaded on Nov 19, 2009, yet is being circulated erroneously all over the HAARP conspiracy world as if it was shot on March 11, 2011. I’m just showing it here to show the stratocumulus clouds.) A better example was perhaps the oddly colored clouds seen before the massive Sichuan, China 8.0 quake in May 2008, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HedE6dlRw&feature=related, of which this is a screenshot:
An interesting experiment, seen in this History Channel documentary on HAARP, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR6O3kJTqaI, makes the point (first 2 minutes – check it out!) that when the miniature ELF-wave transmitter is turned on, the cloud particles rise to the top of the chamber. Perhaps a similar effects played a part in the formation of the cool-looking stratocumulus clouds observed in Japan on March 11? Not impossible.
As far as the unusual lights in the atmosphere go, it has been known (rumored since long before HAARP existed, and been confirmed in the 1960s as a factual-yet-unexplained seismic activity related phenomenon) that ‘Earthquake lights‘ are for real. From Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_light, my emphasis]:
“Appearance: The lights are reported to appear while an earthquake is occurring, although there are reports of lights before or after earthquakes, such as reports concerning the 1975 Kalapana earthquake. They are reported to have shapes similar to those of the auroras, with a white to bluish hue, but occasionally they have been reported having a wider color spectrum. The luminosity is reported to be visible for several seconds, but has also been reported to last for tens of minutes. Accounts of viewable distance from the epicenter varies, in the 1930 Idu earthquake, lights were reported up to 70 miles from the epicenter. Earthquake lights were reportedly spotted in Tianshui, Gansu, approximately 400 km north-northeast of the earthquakes epicenter. The phenomenon was also observed and caught on film during the 2009 L’Aquila and the 2010 Chile earthquakes. The phenomenon was also reported around the Aimuri Earthquake in New Zealand, that occurred 1 September 1888. The lights were visible in the morning of 1 September in Reefton, and again on the 8th of September.
Theories: Earthquake lights are caused by an unknown mechanism. There are numerous theories as to how and why they occur. One explanation involves intense electric fields created piezoelectrically by tectonic movements of rocks containing quartz. Another possible explanation is local disruption of the Earth’s magnetic field and/or ionosphere in the region of tectonic stress,resulting in the observed glow effects either from ionospheric radiative recombination at lower altitudes and greater atmospheric pressure or as aurora. However, the effect is clearly not pronounced or notably observed at all earthquake events and is yet to be directly experimentally verified.“
- TESLA TECHNOLOGY
IF HAARP were to be able to cause earthquakes, how would it do so? To answer that question you have to explore the findings and claims made by Nikola Tesla. I used to be a member of the (no longer active) International Tesla Society in my teens, visited its Tesla Museum in Colorado Springs on my first trip abroad in 1991, build a Tesla Coil when I was 12, and even visited the location of Tesla’s mysterious Wardenclyffe Tower in Shoreham, NY on Long Island in 2008. The premises of the latter are for sale, last I checked, currently owned by the Belgian photo-chemistry company Afga-Gevaert, whose security directed me to this YouTube video ’cause they’re tired of all the trespass attempts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHPQq_dxq6U&feature=related. In short: I’m VERY familiar with anything related to Tesla, so this made for easy digging.
If you’re not yet familiar with his work, check out this well-done (mainstream / Warner Bros) Documentary: “Nikola Tesla, Master of Lightning”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PICxqdd_zvU and this 1982 BBC documentary clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1o70x9iUjg&feature=related
Also worth it: “Nikola Tesla – The Forgotten Wizard (Father Of Scalar Energy!)” @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GT2ZAyuEyDE
A mainstream conspiracy documentary re. Weather Modification, etc. aired on the History Channel (worth checking out!):
! –> An interesting (audio) interview with Phycicist and researcher Steven Jones on No Lies Radio‘s ‘Guns and Butter”, delving into Tesla-made earthquakes, HAARP, etc.: http://noliesradio.org/archives/GB229_NewEnergyResearch_StevenJones_web.mp3
Some basic info about Nikola Tesla is summarized here (and tons of other places online and in books): http://home.earthlink.net/~drestinblack/didyouknow.htm
- Nikola Tesla in New York City laboratory.
His Patents, now all easily accessible online, include various relevant ones, such as his No. 787,412 Patent (1905), “ART OF TRANSMITTING ELECTRICAL ENERGY THROUGH THE NATURAL MEDIUMS”:
Check online for full text and Tesla’s hundreds of other patents. I accessed this one at http://keelynet.com/tesla/00787412.pdf
-!- Much research has been done since. Most notably in articles about HAARP, you’ll come across U. S. Patent 4,686,605, by inventors: ‘Eastlund; Bernard J.’, as well as US Patents 4,712,155 and 5,038,664.
As you can see, this U. S. Patent 4,686,605 even references a Feb 1935 article by Nikola Tesla, on which these patents are partly based.
To better understand the technologies being developed (REMEMBER it is now already over 25 years later since these patents were filed! – The state of knowledge and technological ability is likely much further advanced), read full patent: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4686605.PN.&OS=PN/4686605&RS=PN/4686605
Some older material on this topic includes books by Thomas Bearden, who’s written and lectured on the science of scalar waves and psychotronic weaponry and other electromagnetic Tesla-inspired technologies. Here’s an 1985 presentation by him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R5ofUZKt38&feature=related; One of his earlier books, a “cult classic” in the UFO research subculture, Excalibur Briefing: Explaining Paranormal Phenomena (by T. E. Bearden, 1988 – ISBN-13: 978-0894070600) was among the first to explore this topic.
No one denies the existence of the HAARP facility in Gakona, Alaska:
To begin with, as far as the Earthquake Conspiracy goes, there is the data from the magnetometry readings: http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/data.html, which
lately is was ‘unavailable’ shortly after the monster Japan quake or simply not opening, possibly due to overload/ lack of internet bandwidth). Apparantly [edited since first posting:] It was incorectly deducted or simply assumed that the facility fired up its ionospheric energizing beams just prior to, and during, the quake, shortly after which HAARP seized its supposed experiment, because of the magnetometer’s spikes around that time. EVen if it was, correlation does not imply causation.
But, actually, it can’t even be concluded whether the magnetometer spiked due to HAARP being fired up or due to other causes, such as geomagnetic storms, activity at other facilities, or even if the earthquake itself, were it natural, caused the measurement spike. The latter is the more likely, and new findings of research of a link between earth-phenomena and ionospheric phenomena are hinting in that direction, see also the research of Friedemann Freund, of NASA Ames: http://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/educators/earthquakes.html
Whether it’s a coincidental correlation, or an actual ‘causation’ can’t be deducted from this data alone, though it can’t be dismissed – it does make for a ‘strange coincidence’:
SOURCE: http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/data.html [I added the time the 9.0 Japan Earthquake happened to the graph] as found on http://labvirus.wordpress.com [which was shut down and moved HERE]
A worthwhile documentary about HAARP (mentioned before) is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR6O3kJTqaI
A compilation of some of the better video’s on HAARP: http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2011/03/japan-tsunami-caused-by-haarp.html. The last of the list is of Benjamin Fulford
Added 3/26/2012: ! –> An interesting scientific paper from 2008, published in GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS, VOL. 35, L12101, doi:10.1029/2008GL034061, 2008, here found at Stanford University: http://www-star.stanford.edu/%7Evlf/publications/2008-03.pdf illustrates how they’re using HAARP to heat up the ionosphere with various wave modes, and measuring its effects many hundreds of miles away. In this case, the experiment is about geometric (rather than power) modulation. An image for the paper:
This paper, “Geometric modulation: A more effective method of steerable ELF/VLF wave generation with continuous HF heating of the lower ionosphere”, ends with the Acknowledgments: “We acknowledge support from HAARP, Office of Naval Research (ONR), Air Force Research Laboratory, and Defense Advanced Research Programs Agency, via ONR grant N0001405C0308 to Stanford University. We thank Mike McCarrick for operation of the HAARP array.” — [end added insert]
To confirm the plausibility for this HAARP conspiracy, or debunk it, I would have to see and study the complete detailed record of the magnetometer measurements from Alaska, side by side with the USGS complete global Earthquake record, for starters, ’cause with what I’ve found so far I can’t see how unusual these magnetometer spikes really are, or even if the correlation with a couple massive quakes is even statistically relevant. Earthquakes are part of what happens in the Pacific ‘Ring of Fire’, and quakes with similar magnitude may be very rare, they’re not considered unprecedented in the geological record. It doesn’t help that outdated video’s of trippy clouds are mixed with other data and alarmist claims ‘for effect’… :-/ Yet, then again, that could also be part of intentional “PsyOps“, to confuse and diffuse attention, similarly to the mixing of info and disinfo that has been rampant in the discrediting attempts of the 9/11 Truth movement.
Here’s a look at the USGS’s ‘significant Earthquakes’ in January-February 2012: there’s 10 quakes over 6.0M (from here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/); these:
- Magnitude 6.7 SOUTHWESTERN SIBERIA, RUSSIA February 26, 2012
- Magnitude 6.0 OFF THE COAST OF OREGON February 15, 2012
- Magnitude 6.4 SOLOMON ISLANDS February 14, 2012
- Magnitude 6.7 NEGROS – CEBU REGION, PHILIPPINES February 06, 2012
- Magnitude 7.1 VANUATU February 02, 2012
- Magnitude 6.3 NEAR THE COAST OF CENTRAL PERU January 30, 2012
- Magnitude 6.6 SOUTH SHETLAND ISLANDS January 15, 2012
- Magnitude 7.2 OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA January 10, 2012
- Magnitude 6.6 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS January 09, 2012
- Magnitude 6.8 IZU ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION January 01, 2012
Magnetometer Flux Record from HAARP for January 2012:
In other words: The lack of consistent correlation is SO BAD, the times a quake does correspond with a strong magnetometer measurement is more likely coincidental. In the case of extreme quakes, it seems more likely it is the other way around: that large quakes trigger changes in the ionosphere, which the HAARP magnetometer would pick up. Here’s the HAARP record from March 2011:
And here are March 2011 9 Quakes over 6.0 (Source: USGS, here):
- Magnitude 6.9 MYANMAR March 24, 2011
- Magnitude 6.6 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN March 22, 2011
- Magnitude 6.3 VANUATU March 17, 2011
- Magnitude 7.9 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN March 11, 2011
- Magnitude 9.0 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN March 11, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 NEW BRITAIN REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA March 09, 2011
- Magnitude 7.3 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN March 09, 2011
- Magnitude 6.6 SOLOMON ISLANDS March 07, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION March 06, 2011
See any big quakes in early March? Most DON’T correspond with the HAARP record? In my view, this increases the chance that the correlation match was coincidence. By checking the date and (imagine) FACT-CHECKING, you can see that there is practically no correlation, and that the magnetometer record is just about as random as the earthquake record. With that being the case, you have a good chance that every now and then you’ll have a coincidental match. For a hint that HAARP causes Earthquakes, the magnetometer record PROVES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. (Nor does it disprove anything per se)
!!! —> I did this again for the string of 5 big earth quakes in the month preceding April 12, 2012, and found the same to be the case again. All data with graphs for that investigation on this April 19, 2012 blogpost: Did the 5 largest recent quakes show up on the HAARP magnetometer record? (No, they didn’t)
[Added Dec 10, 2012]: NASA has been looking into this too, reported in the Chicago Tribune (May 30, 2012): “Fukushima quake/tsunami disturbed upper atmosphere – NASA”:
Excerpt: “The massive earthquake and tsunami that hit Fukushima, Japan, last year wreaked havoc in the skies above as well, disturbing electrons in the upper atmosphere, NASA reported. The waves of energy from the quake and tsunami that were so destructive on the ground reached into the ionosphere, a part of the upper atmosphere that stretches from about 50 to 500 miles (80 to 805 km) above Earth’s surface. […]”
- BENJAMIN FULFORD CLAIMS
–> Benjamin Fulford’s blog: http://benjaminfulford.net/
See Fulford overview Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mP-RRLAYUc or (same): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=349xtRzzC58
–> See Also this Blog post on http://the-tap.blogspot.com/2011/03/former-japanese-minister-japan-was.html from Tuesday, March 15, 2011: “Former Japanese Finance Minister Heizo Takenaka – ”Japan Was Threatened With An Earthquake Machine””
More recent, from Fulford’s blog (March 28, 2011): “The people of the world need to urgently take action against the cabal responsible for the nuclear and tsunami attack against Japan because it is a sign they are desperate, dangerous and are speeding up their planned artificial end-times. The next attack is almost certain to take place on US soil and is expected to be far worse than what happened to Japan, according to multiple cabal-linked sources. The cabal is also planning to announce a new global currency in the coming weeks but it will fail because it is merely a desperate bid by them to remain in control of global finance, according to sources in the British Royal Family and at the BIS.”
- My Conclusion:
Earthquakes are accompanied by effects that reach up to high in the ionosphere, so it seems only normal that large earthquakes would show these atmospheric phenomena more than small quakes, regardless of whether the quakes are induced artificially or not. Thus seeing odd cloud formations, etc. is NOT a sign that HAARP was used in and of itself. Combined with other factors, however, such as coinciding HAARP’s ionospheric/magnetomter observed activity (which COULD indicate they used HAARP, but doesn’t mean they did) on the very day of a couple major quakes, political timings and supposed geopolitical motives of powerful shadowy secret societies, the likelihood that it wasn’t entirely natural increases. I don’t know. That HAARP is being used (or tested) as an earthquake weapon is clearly a real possibility, and it most likely lies within the technological capabilities of the military industrial complex.
Actually comparing eartquake records and magnetomter records tell me the whole conspiracy is based primarily on conjecture that -upon a tiny bit of investigation – hold little ground.
[–> An other interesting finding on HAARP, see also my April 11- additional post: https://allegedlyapparent.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/haarp-1-2/ ]
SOURCES & websites accessed for this post included: